GSP talks about return date, admits he cried.

GSP hurt his knee last saturday, it was a MCL(Medial collateral ligament-one of the four major ligaments) injury, still continued training and tried to go on. But on tuesday training he hurt his hamstring on the other side. Following that he understood he can't be 100% ready for the fight on 29th October. He talked to his managers and doctors and decided to pull out from the fight. It was a hard decision for him, also an emotional one to take. 

He said; "(Initially), I knew (the injury) was bad but I thought I had the chance to be 100 per cent the night of the fight if I trained light and conserved myself, but the reality was I was not able to recover (fast enough). I want to fight my best when I'm at my best. "I'm not going to lie, I cried yesterday,I had a ton of pressure falling off my shoulders, because for the last few days I was in the mindset that I was nervous for the fight. I was excited for the fight but I was also nervous to know if I was going to be able to fight.

The recovery I want to do it well, I don't want to do it too fast. Because now I had an injury and I tried to train on it and maybe made it a little bit worse. I need a good four weeks to do my physio and do it right.

Now all the pressure is off, I feel much better. I'm going to do some rehab, maybe take a vacation because I went through a lot. It's not only the fight, it's all the training camp, I went through a lot of stuff. I need to reset the whole thing again and I'll be ready for the next one.
"I would say maybe end of January, possibly the beginning of February (for my return) … Super Bowl, around this time."
If everything goes well on both sides, hopefully we may be seeing the title bout in February!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like