Brandon Vera calls returning Thiago Silva















Lets remember what happened after UFC 125.

Silva was expected to face the former light heavyweight champion Quinton Jackson on May 28, 2011 at UFC 130, although there were rumors that the fight had been canceled due to injury or failed drug tests from his UFC 125 bout. In a statement with Brazilian MMA site Tatame, Thiago denied that he was injured; "Injured? Me? I’m very healthy. That’s not true and looks like the NSAC did two tests, one was positive and the other negative, I'm calm."

Following this statement, Keith Kizer, the commissioner of the NSAC, confirmed that Thiago Silva’s samples are still undergoing tests; "That’s not accurate. We have gotten only the first sample back. It could be weeks before we find out the results for the second test." The UFC didn't want to take any chances in waiting for the second test for Silva, so they replaced Silva with Matt Hamill.

On March 29, Kizer released the details surrounding the questions about Silva's UFC 125 drug test. He confirmed that the findings, after two different drug testing facilities analyzed his urine sample, were inconsistent with human urine. This suggests that Silva submitted either an altered or substituted specimen for the sample used in the drug test.[7] The Nevada State Athletic Commission will discuss a temporary suspension at a hearing on April 7 as well as the possibility of ruling his most recent victory a no contest.
On March 30 Silva released a statement admitting using a urine adulterant.

“I used a urine adulterant when giving a sample following my fight with Brandon Vera. I did so in an attempt to alter the results of the test and knowingly broke the rules of the Nevada State Athletic Commission. This was a terrible decision on my part for which I will be punished. I am prepared to accept this punishment, learn from it and move on. I apologize to the commission, the UFC, Brandon Vera and the MMA fans.

Silva said he doesn't want to make an excuse for his behavior, but he did hope to offer an explanation for his decisions.

"Please do not interpret this as an attempt to justify my actions. I know they were wrong, and I know I made bad decisions... I reinjured my back 45 days before the fight with Brandon Vera. After not fighting for a year, I made the decision to not pull out of the fight. I also decided that the only way I could continue with the fight was to take injections in my back and spine that contained substances prohibited by the Nevada (State) Athletic Commission. I also made the decision to use a product to hide the presence of these substances in a urine test.”

After the hearing, the Nevada State Athletic Commission handed Silva a one-year suspension along with changing his previous win over Brandon Vera at UFC 125 to a no contest, forfeiture of 25 percent of his purse, and $20,000 out of a $55,000 win bonus.

Thiago Silva had served his one-year suspension on the 1st of January 2012 and is now able to fight again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like