Update on Shane Carwin's back injury

Shane had the surgery and connected a tv program via phone, updated his fans of what's going on about his injury.

"Right now, I'm doing alright. We gotta get up early. I gotta get up at about 3:30 in the morning to head down there to go have surgery. But, it's T-10 through T-12. It's basically the middle of my back. I've got a disc that's pressing into my spinal cord. They've basically removed all the spinal fluid around the area. The first time something really bad happened, I was doing a seminar, just drilling takedowns and I got taken down. Both my legs froze up and I actually thought I was paralyzed. It lasted 10 to 15 seconds. I wasn't able to move them or anything. Finally, I was able to recover after the initial impact to my spinal cord. When I started jumping and stuff, I had a tremendous amount of pain in my legs. What they're gonna do is they're gonna actually drill out the bone in my spine to give my spinal cord some room in there.

I think I'm looking at about 10 weeks of down time. It's similar to the neck injury that I've had. I actually had bones that were growing around my spinal cord. They went in there and removed that. This is the same time of procedure. This is the third time that my back's been operated on.... I love to fight and I'm passionate about it. Any time you're passionate about something and you love to do it, it makes it easy to go to work. That's what I love to do. The doctor told me I can either have this surgery and be able to train and do all the things that I need to do to be a complete athlete or we could forego the surgery and I could quit. But I'd probably be looking at surgery down the road anyway."


No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like